Dakal Lighting have vowed to support two charity organisations this year!
Here at Dakal Lighting we want to do more than simply provide high quality lighting and help to brighten up the world! This year as an extra added incentive we will also be helping to brighten up others lives by supporting charity and donating to two carefully chosen causes on a regular basis.
We will this month be giving a generous donation to Cancer Research UK, a cause which is close to many hearts and has changed many lives. Have you or a member of your family been affected by cancer?
We are still in discussions of future chosen charity organisations to donate to, and we would love to hear from you!
Please get in touch and let us know what charities mean a lot to you and why, and we can help to support your cause too.
About Cancer Research UK
Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading independent charity dedicated to cancer research who carry out scientific research to help prevent, diagnose and treat cancer.
They have discovered new ways to beat cancer that together have saved hundreds of thousands of lives across the world.
One in three of us will get cancer at some point in our lives. Our groundbreaking work, funded almost entirely by the general public, will ensure that millions more people survive.
Cancer Research UK was formed on 4th February 2002.
You can be fined and put in jail for if you are not compliant with Emergency Lighting and Fire Safety Regulations.
Jail?! We hear you cry. Surely not! What you may not be aware of is the amount of people currently breaching Emergency Lighting Regulations and not even being aware of it.
Last summer in June a hotelier was jailed for 8 months after it was found that his establishment lacked sufficient Emergency Lighting regulations and Fire Safety Equipment. He had not undertaken a risk assessment nor trained his staff for procedures of how to proceed in case of a fire.
This took place at the Cutlers Hotel in Sheffield, which has since been taken over by The Saxon Hotels group who have undertaken a full risk assessment and refurbished the premises to full Fire Safety standard.
How to Keep your Freedom
There are many different rules surrounding Fire Safety, but they can be summarised under these 5 points according to The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005:
- Undertake a risk assessment
- You must keep a log of all Fire Safety risk assessments as the authorities can request these at any time
- Comply with current standards for emergency lighting installations
- Installations must comply with the National Standards Body’s BS5266 parts 1, 7 and 8
- Comply with current standards for emergency lighting products
- Products must be compliant with BSEN 60598-2-22
- Comply with current standards for emergency lighting testing
- Testing must be compliant with BS5266 Part 8
- Always re-evaluate your emergency lighting after a refurb
- Something as simple as adding a wall to a building could mean that your Emergency Lighting is no longer compliant, for example in corridors and stairwells if the lighting is no longer visible or effective
Frequent Mistakes Made
- Allowing people back into the building after a 3 hour emergency testing before the batteries have been recharged
- An Emergency Light without battery is technically not an Emergency Light, and it is illegal to allow occupants back into the property without adequate Emergency Lighting
- Assuming your Emergency Lighting is still compliant
- You may have purchased some spares, just in case, which are no longer compliant since the latest regulation amends were made. You must ensure that the lights you install are fully compliant regardless of if they were when they were purchased – peoples lives are at risk here!
So What Next?
We hope you have found this article useful, but if y0u have any questions or doubts at all about your own or your customer’s Emergency Lighting compliance, click here to get in touch, or give us a call on 01604 750098.
You may or may not be aware that here at Dakal Lighting we have an in-house Emergency Conversion service and also offer a free no obligation Lighting Design Service.
We are the experts, so let us help to keep you walking free with cash in your pocket!
At the launch of each newsletter as a special treat we offer to you 15% off and carriage paid on three chosen products, and are pleased to announce that until our next edition we are offering the Industrial Trio! Be sure to sign up to our newsletter so that you don’t miss the next one!
This set of three favoured LED products from our Industrial Range:
- LED Mini Flobay
A new addition to our family of LED Flobays is the ‘Mini’, with all the same versatility of the standard but a smaller pro le body. Supplied with BAG or Helvar branded driver and branded LED Boards.
View Full Product Details
2. LED Highbay
A range of LED Highbays supplied with aluminium reflector or decorative polycarbonate refractor and 100˚ beam angle.
View Full Product Details
3. LED Non-Corrosive with 3 Year Warranty
A comprehensive range of xed strip LED IP65 Non-corrosives with ‘quicklink’ through wiring terminal.
View Full Product Details
To request a quote simply Get In Touch or give us a call on 01604 750098.